- Acting for StockCo Group in relation to various agrifinance matters, including providing advice on the Personal Property Securities Act (PPSA) and Unfair Contract Terms legislation.
- Acting for a Swiss based global real estate investment fund in relation to the A$119 million post-development financing of a Brisbane office tower.
- Advising a major Australian media company in respect of a bridge facility in connection with its A$273 million equity raise to fund its acquisition of an Australian outdoor media company.
- Advising a syndicate of foreign banks in relation to a US$138.4m senior secured project financing for an Indonesian copper mine project.
- Acting for a Japanese lender on numerous bilateral property finance transactions involving the acquisition of large commercial office buildings and shopping malls by various property trusts.
- Acting for an Australian investment bank in the financing of a 14-hectare glasshouse farming project in NSW and the subsequent administration of the borrower.
- Advising various clients regarding PPSA issues, including one of the largest global online retailers on PPS lease issues under proposed local storage arrangements and a UK parent company regarding PPSA issues arising under retention of title provisions in its Australian subsidiary’s IT product distribution agreements.
- Acting for the NSW Government in relation to the finance aspects of its privatisation of the State-owned electricity generating facilities and related infrastructure.
- Advising a Singaporean investor group on the financing of the group’s Australasian property acquisitions, including the Novotel Hotel Perth, Hilton Auckland, Travelodge Docklands and Swissotel Sydney.
Areas of expertise
Katie Barnes is a senior banking & finance lawyer with over 10 years’ experience working in private practice in Sydney, Melbourne, London and Tokyo. Katie has broad experience advising Australian and foreign lenders and corporate borrowers/sponsors on a range of complex finance transactions, including property finance, corporate finance, project finance and acquisition finance. Katie is also experienced in advising on the application of the Personal Property Securities legislation and Unfair Contract Terms legislation.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Deakin University (2008)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Distinction) (majoring in accounting and finance) from Deakin University (2008)
Admitted to Practice
- Supreme Court of Victoria (2009)
- Supreme Court of New South Wales (2011)
- High Court of Australia (2018)
- Member of New South Wales Law Society
- Member of Asia Pacific Loan Market Association
- Member of the Golden Key International Honour Society