- Drafting precedent documentation for all Australian jurisdictions and undertaking transaction and enforcement work for an agrifinance business;
- Advising on a wholesale funding facility for cash flow finance facility;
- Advising on priorities between trustees in bankruptcy and financier in livestock.
Bank of China
- Trade Finance: Advising the Bank in relation to documentation with Export Finance and Insurance Corporation (“EFIC”) to support trade facilities provided by the Bank to its clients. Documenting transactions under which the Bank is providing trade facilities including packing loans, letters of credit, back to back letters of credit and other inbound and outbound trade support.
- Property & Commercial Finance: Documenting transactions secured by business and/or real property assets including term loans, lines of credit and dual currency facilities.
Various clients across different industries
- Drafting documentation and advising on PPSA legislation for terms in a variety of industries, including suppliers, equipment hire, custodians, cash flow financiers, insolvency practitioners and others.
Receivers, banks, cash flow financiers, and equipment hire company
- Providing specialist advice on PPSA to receivers, banks, cash flow financiers, and equipment hire companies.
Epic Property Investments Limited
- Advising on ASIC Compliance issues and negotiations with existing and incoming financiers of fund and corporate assets.
- Advising managed investment funds and other financiers on compliance with Financial Services, Consumer Credit and Anti-Money Laundering Legislation.
Managed Investment Schemes and Financial Services Provider
- Advising Managed Investment Schemes and other Financial Services Providers on compliance with the laws relating to the provision of Financial Services under the Corporations Act, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act, the National Consumer Credit Protection Act and the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Act.
Debt Recovery & Insolvency
- Providing enforcement and recovery advice to financiers, including negotiating commercial outcomes with creditors and other parties to assist financiers in exiting a position
- Establish the structure for a facility to complete the construction of a development where both the developer and financier had gone into receivership.
- Establishing and implementing strategies for the enforcement of securities and recovery of debts.
Property & Projects
- Advising on complex property related finance transactions, including construction finance, mezzanine funding and syndicated lending.
- Advising client on acquisition of large residential development through structured finance arrangement and development agreement structure so as to optimise GST and stamp duty position.
Confidential institutional client
- Advising on acquisition, leasing, construction and sale through fund through of a portfolio of child care assets.
- Set up an arrangement through which a Developer could utilise the Credit Licence of another entity through a trust structure in order to provide Vendor finance in compliance with the requirements of the National Consumer Credit Protection Act.
Areas of expertise
Miles leads our Financial Services team and has practised in the areas of banking and finance, property and agribusiness for over 20 years. He has acted for a broad range of financiers, including banks, fund managers, boutique lenders and private clients. He also advises commercial and developer clients of the firm on their financing requirements.
With his substantial experience in financial structures and extensive network of contacts in the finance, property and construction industries, Miles is able to provide creative and innovative solutions to assist clients in meeting their objectives, whether it be to fund a project, protect a position, structure a joint venture or maximise value on an exit.
Miles also advises the firm’s clients on the fund raising and licensing requirements of the Corporations Act and other regulatory requirements. With his team he regularly provides specialist advice in relation to funds management issues.