Lesly Ann Cho
- Acting for directors and shareholders in oppression proceedings brought in the Supreme Courts of NSW and Vic.
- Advising directors and shareholders in disputes over the contested interpretation of shareholders’ agreements, removal of other directors, and buyout of other shareholders.
- Acting for an SME in disputes relating to the sale of business and related vendor finance arrangements.
- Acting on behalf of an international investor and his related corporate entity for claims brought under the Australian Consumer Law in the Federal Court of Australia relating to cryptocurrency investments.
- Advising and acting in trust disputes relating to several joint investment arrangements of retirement villages in South Australia and commencing an application for pre-action discovery (preliminary discovery) in South Australia.
- Acting and advising generally on claims for contractual breaches, breaches under the Australian Consumer Law and other related causes of action.
- Acting for individuals and corporations in relation to claims for general protections and unfair dismissal.
Building and Construction
- Acting and advising on claims relating to incomplete and defective building residential works commenced in the Supreme Court* of NSW, District Court of NSW, and NCAT.
- Advising principals, builders and subcontractors in various building and construction disputes and preparing payment schedules and adjudication applications and responses under Security of Payments legislations throughout Australia.
- Acting for a recycling and waste management company on a dispute brought in the Supreme Court of NSW relating to the design and construction of a waste management and recycling facility against an insolvent building company and its litigation funder.
- Advising and negotiating the terms of residential and commercial design and construction building contracts.
- Advising on a dispute against liquidators with respect to a claim over alleged interest of an insolvent group of companies in the ownership of a successful start-up company.
- Advising and defending complex claims of voidable transactions against a civil and earthworks company involving alleged fraudulent transactions.
- Acting on behalf of liquidators to pursue voidable transaction claims against the ATO.
- Advising clients in pursuing and defending creditors’ claims.
Federal and State Revenue Disputes
- Advising a director of a software company on negotiations and structuring of alternative settlement proposals with the ATO with respect to income tax and GST liabilities.
- Acting on behalf of a developer and his associated entities in numerous disputes against the ATO brought under Pt IVC of the Taxation Administration Act 1953.
- Acting on behalf of a developer to defend debt recovery proceedings commenced by the ATO in the Supreme Court of NSW and District Court of NSW.
- Acting on behalf of a security company in its dispute with NSW Revenue over the assessment of payroll tax.
- Advising individuals on Director Penalty Notices issued by the ATO.
Property and Leases
- Advising landlords and tenants on disputes arising under commercial and retail leases.
- Advising on disputes relating to easements, positive covenants and other related land dealings.
- Advising and negotiating terms for Agreements for Leases
Areas of expertise
Lesly leads our Litigation and Dispute Resolution team. She has a wealth of experience in representing a broad range of clients from SMEs, large corporations, builders, developers and insolvency practitioners.
Lesly specialises in advising and navigating clients through complex dispute and litigation matters involving corporate and commercial transactions, building and construction, property, insolvency and employment. She has appeared in various Federal and State courts, tribunals and commissions in Australia, including the Federal Court of Australia, the Supreme Courts of NSW, Qld and Vic, the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and the Fair Work Commission.
Lesly approaches all matters with a high level of vigour and determination to provide strategic and effective advice to clients to achieve their commercial outcomes. She is also a skilled negotiator and is well versed in alternative dispute processes.